- Each university may submit two entrants' work per photo competition.
- Photo entrants do not have to be journalism majors to enter the photo competitions as long as they are attending a university with an ACEJMC-accredited journalism program.
- All photo entries must be appropriate to the competition in which they are submitted and must have been made by the entrant.
- One photograph from each entry must have been published in print or online or both during the time period designated to each competition.
- Entries may be submitted from newspapers, magazines, online media or Web sites.
- If the entry is from a professional publication, a statement from the editor of that publication must be submitted to verify that the photo was the work of the entrant.
- Photos approved for a yearbook not yet published are also acceptable if accompanied by a letter from the department administrator verifying the photo's use in the publication.
This competition is journalism. The content may not be digitally altered significantly beyond standard optimization as in cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.
It is not permissible to alter the basic reality of a photograph (with the exception of the "personal vision"
No removal or insertion of objects from the photo.
No cloning pixels to create a new image or add to an image.
No radical color changes.
HOW TO ENTER:
Instructions for uploading entries will be emailed to administrators and faculty members.
PHOTOJOURNALISM I: News and Features Photography
An entry consists of a minimum of four images (at least two news and two features) and a maximum of eight images.
News: breaking news, general news or news photos relating to sporting events.
Features: features, portraits, sports, documentary photography.
All photographs must have been taken during the following time frame and one image must have been disseminated in print or online or both from September 1, 2012 through November 5, 2013.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Tuesday, November 5, 2013
PHOTOJOURNALISM II: Picture Story/Series
Each entry must include one picture story/series with up to fifteen images on any subject.
All photographs must have been taken during the following time frame and one image must have been disseminated in print or online or both from September 1, 2011 through February 25, 2014.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Tuesday, February 25, 2014
PHOTOJOURNALISM SEMI-FINAL COMPETITION
The semi-final competition is open to the top 12 semi-finalists from the two photo competitions: the five top-scoring entrants from each competition, plus two entrants with the highest scores.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Wednesday, April 30, 2014
NATIONAL PHOTOJOURNALISM CHAMPIONSHIP
This event is open to the six finalists who are selected from the 12 semi-finalists.
Photojournalism entries are judged based on the following criteria:
- Photographic quality
- Visual story telling
- Human interest
- News value